The 2017 legislative session is now over and thanks to hard work and dedication on behalf of Utah’s children, lawmakers passed many bills that will have a considerable impact on public education. For example:
- A 4% increase in the Weighted Pupil Unit (WPU) will amount to roughly $120 million in unrestricted funds distributed statewide on a per-student basis.
- $68 million was approved to address enrollment growth.
- A $15 million grant program will assist teachers and students with technology in the classroom.
- Lawmakers voted to cover the cost of teacher license fees.
- $5,000 bonuses will be awarded to high-performing educators in high-poverty schools.
- School grading is suspended for a year while a new system to measure achievement is formulated.
Thank you to our local lawmakers for working so hard on behalf of our children and their education. We appreciate your accessibility and support throughout the 2017 legislative session and the school year.