Every day lunch ladies and nutrition services staff rise and shine long before the sun comes up to cook tasty and nutritious meals for thousands of students and staff throughout Jordan School District. This is no small task and they do it all serving up smiles and farm fresh food along the way. Here are some fun facts you may not know about the enormous job of keeping our students fed:
- More than 31,000 meals are served in JSD schools every day.
- 500 Nutrition Services employees are involved in the food preparation.
- Nutrition Services spends $9,000,000 on food every school year.
- 570,000 pounds of poultry, beef and pork combined are used in meals each year.
- Lunch ladies use more than 350,000 pounds of flour in baking each year.
- Nutrition Services works with four local farmers to provide as much fresh produce as possible in schools in the ‘Farm to School’ program, which includes fresh milk. About $2,000,000 is spent on products from local farmers each year.
The most requested recipe every single year by parents in the District is for our lunch lady’s MACARONI AND CHEESE. Here is the recipe, enjoy!
Macaroni & Cheese
Jordan School District Nutrition Services
- 3 1/3 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp margarine
- 7/8 tsp dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds processed American cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
Put milk, margarine, mustard, pepper and cheese in medium sauce pan. Cook until melted and watch closely to avoid scalding. Mix noodles and cheese mixture together and serve!! ENJOY!!
12 servings (1 cup)