Work Begins for New Schools on Bond Plan
The earth moving equipment has arrived and crews are already paving the way for new schools to be built thanks to passage of the 2016 Jordan School District bond.
At the location for a new high school in Herriman just north of Rosecrest Drive and east of the Mountain View Corridor (approximately 14100 S. 4800 West) site grading is now underway to clear the property for construction.
Similar work at the site of a new middle school in South Jordan (10200 S. 5200 West) will begin at the end of March.
Here are site plans and conceptual drawings for both new schools, which are subject to minor modifications.
- Opening in the 2019-20 school year
- A new elementary school in Bluffdale at 15700 S. 1300 West
- A new elementary school in Herriman*
- A new middle school in South Jordan at 10200 S. 5200 West
- A new middle school in West Jordan at 7550 S. 1700 West
- A new high school in Herriman located at 14100 S. 4800 West
- Opening in the 2021-22 school year
- A new middle school in the Bluffdale/Herriman area*
*Property purchase pending
Bond Sale Update
In order to build the six new schools identified in the bond plan, the District must now begin the process of selling $245 million in voter approved bonds. This is a process that takes place over a number of years.
The first bond sale was in February 2017 for about $39 million. The District will sell bonds as needed to maintain the construction schedule for the six new schools. Selling the bonds in increments over a number of years also saves taxpayers money. The interest rates and construction bids on the schools are meeting projections and on target.