New School Buildings Starting to Take Shape!
If you miss a day, you miss a lot at three new school construction sites in Jordan School District. The schools are now out of the ground and quickly taking shape. Here is an update:
- New High School in Herriman (Approximately 14100 S. 4800 West)
- The steel skeleton of the school is going up
- Concrete is being poured for interior floors
- Masonry walls are going up for the gymnasium
- Road work is underway around the school
- New Middle School in South Jordan (10200 S. 5200 West)
- Masonry walls are up for a large portion of the school
- Work is beginning on the second floor of the building
- Concrete is being poured for the gymnasium floor
- West Jordan Middle School Rebuild
- The steel skeleton of the school is going up
- Work is being done on underground utilities and water lines
All three schools are scheduled to open in the 2019-20 school year. See the progress for yourself in a photo gallery on our Facebook page!
Construction Update on New High School in Herriman
If you have driven by the site of the new high school in Herriman, you can clearly see it is full speed ahead for construction crews who are making progress every day. While they work on footings and the foundation, underground plumbing, drainage and electrical lines are also going in for the high school.
The new school is located at 14100 S. 4800 West and will open in the 2019-20 school year.
Groundwork for New Middle School in South Jordan Begins
It is full speed ahead on new school construction projects in Jordan School District. Take a look:
- New South Jordan Middle School
Excavation work has now begun at the site of the new middle school in South Jordan. The school, located at 10200 South 5200 West, is scheduled to open in the 2019-20 school year.
- New (Replacement) West Jordan Middle School
Excavation work is also underway at the site of the new middle school in West Jordan. The work is taking place on the field behind the old school and right now crews are getting ready to pour footings for the new building. This school will open in the 2019-20 school year.
- New High School in Herriman
Ground work and excavation continues to move forward at the site of the new high school in Herriman, located at 14100 South 4800 W. Crews are ready to pour footings for the new school which is scheduled to open in the 2019-20 school year.
Groundbreaking Celebration for Construction of New West Jordan Middle School
The current West Jordan Middle School was built in 1958 and now its time to pave the way for a new school and continue the legacy of quality education and community pride that comes with it. The new school is being constructed thanks to taxpayer support of a successful 2016 Jordan School District bond. The new school will be built on site, located on the field behind West Jordan Middle and is scheduled to open in the 2019-20 school year.
Monday afternoon, school District officials, local city leaders, police, fire and community members gathered to celebrate the rich history of West Jordan Middle. They came together with shovels and hard hats to break ground for the future school.
Isaac Atwood, 9th Grade Student Body President, told the crowd that while parts of the old school will be missed, it is students that make West Jordan Middle the amazing school it is and that tradition will continue with the new building.
Work Begins for New Schools on Bond Plan
The earth moving equipment has arrived and crews are already paving the way for new schools to be built thanks to passage of the 2016 Jordan School District bond.
At the location for a new high school in Herriman just north of Rosecrest Drive and east of the Mountain View Corridor (approximately 14100 S. 4800 West) site grading is now underway to clear the property for construction.
Similar work at the site of a new middle school in South Jordan (10200 S. 5200 West) will begin at the end of March.
Here are site plans and conceptual drawings for both new schools, which are subject to minor modifications.
- Opening in the 2019-20 school year
- A new elementary school in Bluffdale at 15700 S. 1300 West
- A new elementary school in Herriman*
- A new middle school in South Jordan at 10200 S. 5200 West
- A new middle school in West Jordan at 7550 S. 1700 West
- A new high school in Herriman located at 14100 S. 4800 West
- Opening in the 2021-22 school year
- A new middle school in the Bluffdale/Herriman area*
*Property purchase pending
Bond Sale Update
In order to build the six new schools identified in the bond plan, the District must now begin the process of selling $245 million in voter approved bonds. This is a process that takes place over a number of years.
The first bond sale was in February 2017 for about $39 million. The District will sell bonds as needed to maintain the construction schedule for the six new schools. Selling the bonds in increments over a number of years also saves taxpayers money. The interest rates and construction bids on the schools are meeting projections and on target.