Long a tradition in Europe, street painting and sidewalk art is thought to originate in Italy in the 16th century. In the style of Italian maddonari or street painters, artists at West Jordan High used their colored chalk to create temporary works of art in front of the school.
While rain will eventually wash away their hard work, the fine artistic ability of the students was on full display for all to see, even if for just a short amount of time.
Here are the ‘best of show’ winners:
- 1st Place: Sirens Call by Maren Walker, Isabelle Contrereas, Katie Kosner, and Chenoah Fuller
- 2nd Place: Michelle Obama by Britney Perez Vidal, Liliana Rodriguez, and Yasmine Ruelas
- 3rd Place: When You Wish Upon A Star by Lexie Colbert, Bethanie Crockett. Erin Whitlock, and Katherine Lingwall
- Most Creative: “Untitled” by Natalie Shade, Jessica Fernandez, and Jared Valero (Octopus and Ship)
- Most Original: “Open” by Megan Hammer
- Teachers Pick: “Sakura Night” by Maria Mazzei, Andres Ferrer, and Maria Salazar