It is a day 6th grade student Kaitlyn Sanders won’t soon forget. She was eating lunch in the cafeteria at Columbia Elementary School when suddenly a carrot became lodged in her throat. Kaitlyn began choking and she couldn’t breathe.
Thankfully, teacher, Thomas Walton, and teaching coach, Gerri Hixenbaugh, noticed something was wrong and ran to the rescue. Mrs. Hixenbaugh successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver and saved Kaitlyn’s life. After the frightening ordeal, a day never went by that Kaitlyn didn’t give Mrs. Hixenbaugh and Mr. Walton a big hug – it was her way of saying thanks for saving her life.