Proposed Boundary Change Affecting Undeveloped Property
The Board approved a boundary change affecting undeveloped property within the boundaries of Bingham High, Riverton High, South Jordan Middle, Oquirrh Hills Middle, Monte Vista Elementary and Rosamond Elementary Schools.
The Board approved a contract renewal for two years for Superintendent Patrice Johnson as required by Utah law.
Recommendation to Approve Policy
The Board approved changes to classified employee policy, DA 168 NEG Assignment of Bus Drivers and Bus Attendants, in cooperation with JESPA representatives.
Dr. Patrice A. Johnson, Superintendent of Schools, thanked Cabinet members for their hard work and dedication, which makes a difference in our schools every day. She said it is an honor to work beside them. She also thanked the Board for allowing her to continue providing educational opportunities and access to education for every student by approving her contract renewal.
Duane Devey, Director of Custodial & Energy Services, and Robert Vorwald, Energy Management Coordinator, gave a follow-up report on results of new energy management procedures. They reported that by doing things like lighting retrofits, summer portable shut downs, night inspections at schools, shutting equipment off on weekends and holidays, training custodians on energy efficiency and much more, the District has seen a $680,000 savings in energy costs in just one year. A number of utility incentives have also added up to substantial savings. Scott Thomas, Administrator of Auxiliary Services, shared with the Board a slide show of the summer construction projects underway throughout the District.
Alexandra Eframo, resident, thanked several area administrators for taking the time to meet with her and answer questions.
- Board Comments
- Kayleen Whitelock attended Facilities Committee meetings where members proposed the District should consider holding a Town Hall meeting for patrons to share their ideas on what future high schools should look like.
- Matthew Young thanked Scott Thomas and Paul Bergera for a tour of schools currently under construction with summer remodeling projects. He said he was impressed by the efficiency of the work being done. Mr. Young said the Finance Committee is working with West Jordan City on a proposed RDA and the Committee is discussing potential bonding.
- Jen Atwood attended a School Community Council Committee meeting where they are working hard to help parents strengthen and promote School Community Councils throughout the District.
- Janice Voorhies attended a School Community Council Committee meeting as well as Legislative and Facilities Committee meetings.
- Susan Pulsipher announced that starting September 28th, Board of Education meetings will be held at the new JATC South in Riverton. She also talked about opportunities that are available to Board members through the Utah School Boards Association, (USBA).
- Lynn Crane attended Facilities Committee and Finance Committee meetings and said he is happy to be involved and representing Jordan School District.
- Richard Osborn attended a National Federation of Urban, Suburban School Districts (NFUSSD), business meeting and informed the Board that the group’s national conference is in Salt Lake City this year. He also attended a Utah High School Activities Association meeting, (UHSAA), meeting where members decided to discontinue diving as an authorized competitive sport.
Closed, Study Session
In closed session, Board members discussed personnel, property and potential litigation. In open session, the Board reviewed boundary changes for undeveloped areas, the 5-Year Building Construction Plan and received updates on the Interlocal Agreement, the modified traditional calendar and the charter school funding task force. They also discussed building design for new elementary schools, school bus advertising, and bussing for alternative specialized programs. The Board reviewed administrative policy DA168 NEG, contagious disease notification policy and discussed the proposed State Board of Education selection process.
– Sandy Riesgraf, Director of Communications
Susan Pulsipher, President – Precinct 3
Janice L. Voorhies, Vice President – Precinct 6
Kayleen Whitelock, Secretary – Precinct 4
Jen Atwood, Member – Precinct 7
J. Lynn Crane, Member – Precinct 1
Richard S. Osborn, Member – Precinct 5
Matthew Young, Member – Precinct 2