It is a fun time of year to enjoy a meal prepared by the District’s amazing lunch ladies. That’s because Nutrition Services teams up with local farmers in a program called “Farm to School,” which brings lots and lots of freshly harvested food directly to our kitchens and cafeterias. The fresh produce is delivered, sometimes by the farmers themselves, to all of our schools, which provide 30,000 meals each day for students, teachers and staff. You might be surprised by how much fresh produce is actually served this time of year.
- Watermelon – 4,000 pounds
- Cantaloupe – 2,000 pounds
- Honey Dew Melons – 2,000 pounds
- Spaghetti Squash – 1,000 pounds
- Pears – 20,000
- Peaches – 20,000
- Ears of Corn – 20,000
- Apples – 110,000
The District is proud to invest in local products spending about $2 million a year on farm fresh produce, including milk from local producers, bread products, even local Norbest Turkeys.
Thanks to the 500 Nutrition Services employees who work so hard to provide healthy, amazing meals to students and others throughout the District each and every day!
It is a program that prepares high school students to graduate into successful careers as diesel mechanics with high tech, hands-on learning.
The Diesel Technician Program at West Jordan High School just received a Certification of Recognition from an international trade organization called the Associated Equipment Distributors (AED), which represents more than 800 construction equipment manufacturers and distributors around the world.
The Certification of Recognition is a very high honor, which places West Jordan High’s Diesel Technician Program among the top four in the nation for its cutting edge technology and high standards of teaching. Congratulations!
In addition to having six new schools under construction, Jordan School District had many facilities upgrade projects at existing schools across the district. Here is a list of some of the more significant projects that took place over the summer.
- Rose Creek Elementary
- Asphalt replacement
- Expansion of parking lot
- South Hills Middle
- Administrative office renovation and relocation
- New LED lights throughout the building
- Emergency generator replacement and relocation
- Approximately 2000 sq. ft. addition on the front of the building
- Bingham High
- Chiller replacement
- Replace 4 HVAC units
- Westland Elementary
- Replace the large divider door between the gym and cafeteria
- Replace VCT flooring in the gym and cafeteria
- West Jordan High
- Re-grading of the baseball field
- Replace infield dirt
- New baseball field scoreboard
- Riverton High
- Fill in recessed commons area inside the building
- Expand parking lot by 58 new stalls
- Seal and re-striping parking lot
- Kauri Sue Hamilton
- Additional 12,000 sq. ft. two story addition to the existing building
- Additional elevator and stairway
- Six teacher prep rooms
- New outdoor playground
- Transportation Facility
- Power and natural gas station for each parking stall
- Increase bus parking by 20 stalls
Six new schools are currently under construction in Jordan School District.
Five of them will open in the 2019-20 school year.
- A new high school in Herriman – 14100 S. Autumn Crest Blvd.
- A new middle school in South Jordan – 5325 W. Bingham Rim Road
- The rebuild of West Jordan Middle – 7550 S. Redwood Road
- A new elementary school in Bluffdale – 15345 S. 1200 West
- A new elementary school in Herriman – 14120 S. Greenford Lane
One new school will open in the 2020–21 school year.
- A new middle school in Bluffdale – 15410 S. Harmon Day Drive
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE THE PROGRESS BEING MADE ON EACH SCHOOL.
The Jordan School District Board of Education invites you to attend this informational meeting where you will learn about the boundary change process.
Five new schools will be opening in Jordan School District in the 2019-20 school year and boundary changes to existing schools are necessary in order to establish boundaries for the new schools.
No boundary decisions will be made at this meeting.
Please join us, Thursday, Sept. 27, 7 p.m.
West Jordan High School Auditorium