- Principal: Howard Griffith
- Assistant Principal: Jerri Mausbach
- Address: 13717 S. Shaggy Peak Drive, Riverton, UT 84096
- Phone: 801-302-8599 | Fax: 801-302-4976
- Mascot: Mustangs
- School Colors: Navy, Tan, and Maroon
- Home Page: foothills.jordandistrict.org
- View student achievement
- View current boundary description
Foothills Elementary School is located in a fairly new community in west Riverton, Utah. Our mission is to prepare students for the future by providing an optimal learning experience and encouraging students to reach their highest potential.
- General Information:
- Foothills Elementary currently has over 1150 students enrolled in Kindergarten through sixth grade. We expect our numbers to stabilize as the potential for new housing within our boundaries has decreased significantly.
- The school features self-contained classrooms with exterior windows and interior hall skylights. A media center, multipurpose center, cafeteria, stage and an up-to-date computer lab complete this modern, attractive facility.
- Foothills Elementary is a year-round school with four attendance tracks. Each track is in attendance for 45 days followed by a 15-day vacation. The school takes a common vacation in July. There is no bus service. All students live within walking distance of the school.
- The teacher/pupil ration is 1 to 22 in Kindergarten, 1 to 22 in grades 1 – 3 and 1 to 26 in grades 4 – 6. Actual class sizes may vary.
- A delicious, nutritious lunch is prepared in our kitchen daily.
- Chinese Immersion will be offered to first grade students at Foothills Elementary beginning in the 2010 school year. By 2015, the immersion program will be in grades 1 through 6. Students enrolled in the program receive instruction for half of the day in Chinese and half of the day in English. The whole school will be learning about Chinese culture and traditions with the hope of graduating children from our school with a more global education and experience.
- Staff and Students:
- Foothills Elementary staff includes 49 certified teachers and specialists. In addition 29 classified employees serve in various other capacities.
- All certified staff hold current teaching certificates with several teachers having earned advanced degrees and educational endorsements beyond the regular teaching certificate. In addition two teachers are currently working on their National Board Certification.
- Two full time resource teachers and one part time Literacy specialist provide Tier II and Tier III interventions for students who are struggling academically. A part time school psychologist and one speech therapist are also on staff.
- Teachers participate in Professional Learning Communities to meet individual student needs and collaborate on curriculum and common assessments.
- All staff members are formally evaluated on a regular basis for the purpose of improving performance. Teachers continually participate in professional development classes to improve instructional skills.
- The curriculum meets or exceeds all District and state requirements. Teachers utilize Balanced Literacy strategies to teach reading and writing in all subject areas. Math is taught using a combination of Investigations as well as the Scott Foresman/Addison Wesley curriculum. Science and Social Studies curriculum are taught using both district and teacher-designed guides and materials using a hands-on approach. Curriculum is individualized and differentiated to meet the individual needs of students.
- Technology training in the school’s computer lab is available to all students in all grades. Students also have access to several mobile labs of laptop computers.
- Students learn leadership and communication skills by participating in Student Council and Safety Patrol.
- Community Involvement:
- A School Community Group meets regularly to discuss local school problems, review District and state problems, and make recommendations for action to the principal.
- The Parent Teacher Association is an active organization at Foothills Elementary. Volunteers spend hundreds of hours annually, assisting teachers and students in the classrooms.
- Parents and community volunteers are encouraged to participate at Foothills. Volunteers help teachers with clerical tasks and tutoring small groups.
- Visitors are always welcome at Foothills. It is our goal to provide opportunities for every student and family to give of their time and service to our students, the future leaders of tomorrow.
- Our school boasts a great faculty and outstanding school spirit. We enjoy parent and community involvement, and student progress in academics and self-discipline is exceptional.
The Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence (SAGE) is a collection of computer-adaptive assessments given to Utah students beginning in grade 3. SAGE assessments provide questions that assess students’ ability to apply higher-order thinking skills and better emulate real tasks students may encounter in education and in life.
SAGE assessments were developed through a joint effort on the part of Utah teachers, parents, test development experts, and the Utah State Board of Education. SAGE assessments provide information to assist in determining students’ educational progress towards being ready for college and careers upon completion of secondary school.
- 2013-14 SAGE Results for Foothills Elementary
- 2014-15 SAGE Results for Foothills Elementary
- 2015-16 SAGE Results for Foothills Elementary
PACE is an acronym given to Utah’s 2013 ten-year education and economic development plan. The plan includes four main components: Prepare young learners, Access for all students, Complete certificates and degrees, and Economic success (PACE). PACE Accountability Reports provide information regarding a school’s progress towards achieving components of the Governor’s education and economic development plan.
In lower and middle grades, PACE Accountability Reports display information regarding kindergarten readiness and SAGE assessment results for grades 3, 6, and 8. At the high school level, SAGE reports include graduation rates, ACT results, and college credit earned concurrent enrollment, advanced placement (AP), career and technical education (CTE), and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs.
- 2013-14 PACE Report Card for Foothills Elementary
- 2014-15 PACE Report Card for Foothills Elementary
- 2015-16 PACE Report Card for Foothills Elementary
Begin at 5600 W. and 13400 S.; east along 13400 S. (south side) to Mountain View Corridor; south along Mountain View Corridor (west side) to Porter Rockwell Rd.; east along Porter Rockwell Rd. (south side) to Camp Williams Rd.; south along Camp Williams Rd. (west side) to the south county line; west along the south county line (north side) to approx. 4800 W.; north along approx. 4800 W. (east side) to Mount Ogden Peak Dr.; west along Mount Ogden Peak Dr. (north side) to Rosecrest Rd.; west along Rosecrest Rd. (north side) to approx. 5300 W. (gulley); north along the gulley (east side) to the Herriman/Riverton City line (approx. 14200 S.); west along the Herriman/Riverton City line (north side) to approx. 5400 W.; north along approx. 5400 W. (east side) to approx. 14000 S.; east along approx. 14000 S. (south side) to approx. 5200 W.; north along approx. 5200 W. (east side) to approx. 13700 S.; west along approx. 13700 S. (north side) to approx. 5400 W.; northeast along approx. 5400 W. (east side) to approx. 13600 S.; west along approx. 13600 S. (north side) to 5600 W.; north along 5600 W. (east side) to 13400 S.