Southland Elementary is located in Riverton City about 20 miles south of Salt Lake City extending from 12200 South to 13400 South and from the Utah Lake Distributing Canal near 2200 West to the Utah Salt Lake Canal near 3200 West. The Southland community strongly supports education and parents are highly involved with the school. Southland teachers are dedicated to see that their students develop academically, socially and emotionally.
- Southland Elementary serves 820 students from K-6 grade in an established neighborhood.
- The school operates on a traditional schedule with a short day on Friday.
- The building, which opened in 1974, features self-contained classrooms as well as 8 portable classrooms.
- The Southland Faculty is comprised of state certified teachers with diversified backgrounds and experiences.
- A resource team, speech pathologist, and guidance specialist provide help for students with learning disabilities, physical handicaps, and emotional problems.
- The teachers and administrators are formally evaluated on a regular basis to assure the quality of classroom instruction and school administration.
- Our teachers actively participate in job embedded professional development. Professional Learning Communities are a core part of our school culture.
- Southland offers a full curriculum with emphasis on reading, math and language arts with a liberal sprinkling of arts and science.
- Southland offers a Chinese Dual Immersion Program for grades 1-6.
- All students at Southland enjoy small group instruction in their Guided Reading group with their teachers, five days a week. Additional reading instruction is also available to students using Success Maker and My Sidewalks supplemental programs.
- Southland has 2 iMac Computer Labs used for writing, production activities, keyboarding practice, and research. There are also computers available in every classroom for student use. iPad mobile labs are available for all grade levels as well as a MacAir Lab for 1st – 3rd Grades and Chromebook computer labs for each grade level 4th – 6th.
- Each classroom has an audio system, document camera, projector, and Apple TV.
- Southland offers opportunity for students to participate in various arts programs. There is an Evening of Arts each Spring to showcase student talent. Southland also has a Christmas Choir, a half-time Music Teacher, and sponsors a school musical for upper grade students, every other year.
- Southland students may participate in Math Club, Chess Club, and/or Science Club. Clubs are held during school hours and PTO Volunteers staff these clubs.
- Our cafeteria offers both breakfast and lunch programs daily. Free or reduced price meals are provided for qualifying students.
- Standards of dress, attendance, and discipline are part of Southland’s culture. Southland is also a Leader in Me school and has a 0 Tolerance Policy for bullying.
- An amazing PTO and School Community Council assist with school activities and regularly give input on important school issues. Volunteers are always found in the building assisting teachers and students.
- Our staff strives to make Southland a welcoming, positive, safe, respectful, caring place where learning is a focus. We also emphasize the Big 4 at Southland: Be Respectful, Be Responsible, Be Safe, and Be a Leader.
- Visitors to Southland are welcome at any time. All visitors are asked to check in at the office before visiting our classrooms.
The Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence (SAGE) is a collection of computer-adaptive assessments given to Utah students beginning in grade 3. SAGE assessments provide questions that assess students’ ability to apply higher-order thinking skills and better emulate real tasks students may encounter in education and in life.
SAGE assessments were developed through a joint effort on the part of Utah teachers, parents, test development experts, and the Utah State Board of Education. SAGE assessments provide information to assist in determining students’ educational progress towards being ready for college and careers upon completion of secondary school.
- 2013-14 SAGE Results for Southland Elementary
- 2014-15 SAGE Results for Southland Elementary
- 2015-16 SAGE Results for Southland Elementary
PACE is an acronym given to Utah’s 2013 ten-year education and economic development plan. The plan includes four main components: Prepare young learners, Access for all students, Complete certificates and degrees, and Economic success (PACE). PACE Accountability Reports provide information regarding a school’s progress towards achieving components of the Governor’s education and economic development plan.
In lower and middle grades, PACE Accountability Reports display information regarding kindergarten readiness and SAGE assessment results for grades 3, 6, and 8. At the high school level, SAGE reports include graduation rates, ACT results, and college credit earned concurrent enrollment, advanced placement (AP), career and technical education (CTE), and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs.
- 2013-14 PACE Report Card for Southland Elementary
- 2014-15 PACE Report Card for Southland Elementary
- 2015-16 PACE Report Card for Southland Elementary
Begin at the Utah Lake Distributing Canal (approx. 3250 W.) and approx. 12200 S.; east along approx. 12200 S. (south side) to the Utah-Salt Lake Canal (approx. 2500 W.); south along the Utah-Salt Lake Canal (west side) to 13400 S.; west along 13400 S. (north side) to the Utah Lake Distributing Canal (approx. 3250 W.); north along Utah Lake Distributing Canal (east side) to approx. 12200 S.