Westland Elementary, located in West Jordan City, is committed to educating students to the highest levels of academic performance as well as promoting social and emotional growth. Teachers are dedicated to providing a nurturing learning environment wherein students can progress to their full potential. Parents are encouraged to participate in all aspects of their student’s education and are always welcome in the school. State law requires that all visitors check in at the office before visiting classrooms.
- Westland was originally constructed in a flexible open space design and opened its’ doors in 1972. In 1996 the building was remodeled and walls were added creating a pleasant, comfortable atmosphere for learning.
- The school operates on a traditional calendar and students attend from the end of August to the first week in June.
- The pupil to teacher ratio is 1 to 22.3 in first grade, 1 to 23.1 in second grade, 1 to 24.6 in third grade, and 1 to 26.7 in fourth, fifth, and sixth grades. The actual class size varies.
- Westland is committed to teaching the Utah CORE curriculum integrated into the Balanced Literacy framework.
- The computer lab provides quality technology training. Three classroom sets of AlphaSmarts are also available for teaching keyboarding.
- Westland serves as a magnet school in the Northwest Area of the District for the Accelerated Learning Program (ALPS). Approximately 160 children are enrolled in ALPS grades one – six.
- Special services are offered through resource classes, speech and language, and guidance counseling.
- A quality “5-Star” lunch is served daily. Free and reduced lunches are available to students who qualify and breakfast is offered daily.
- Each day begins with a greeting and announcements by our Student Council representatives.
- Student Council, a service organization, promotes a recycling project, food drive, and other charity causes.
- Westland has a junior and senior chorus. They perform two times each year. We also have an orchestra program.
- Thirty six percent of our teachers have Masters degrees. They also spend many hours in professional development and graduate level courses to stay abreast of new research-based teaching practices.
- Westland serves 650 students.
The Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence (SAGE) is a collection of computer-adaptive assessments given to Utah students beginning in grade 3. SAGE assessments provide questions that assess students’ ability to apply higher-order thinking skills and better emulate real tasks students may encounter in education and in life.
SAGE assessments were developed through a joint effort on the part of Utah teachers, parents, test development experts, and the Utah State Office of Education. SAGE assessments provide information to assist in determining students’ educational progress towards being ready for college and careers upon completion of secondary school.
PACE is an acronym given to Utah’s 2013 ten-year education and economic development plan. The plan includes four main components: Prepare young learners, Access for all students, Complete certificates and degrees, and Economic success (PACE). PACE Accountability Reports provide information regarding a school’s progress towards achieving components of the Governor’s education and economic development plan.
In lower and middle grades, PACE Accountability Reports display information regarding kindergarten readiness and SAGE assessment results for grades 3, 6, and 8. At the high school level, SAGE reports include graduation rates, ACT results, and college credit earned concurrent enrollment, advanced placement (AP), career and technical education (CTE), and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs.
Begin at approx. 3400 W. and approx. 6600 S.; east along approx. 6600 S. (south side) to 2700 W.; south along 2700 W. (west side) to 7800 S.; west along 7800 S. (north side) to the Utah-Salt Lake Canal (approx. 2990 W.); north along the canal (east side) to 7000 S.; west along 7000 S. (north side) to approx. 3400 W.; north along approx. 3400 W. (east side) to approx. 6600 S.