The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced recently that it is returning to pre-pandemic rules requiring families to apply for free and reduced lunch, rather than allowing all K-12 students to receive free meals.
Families must once again apply for the income-based free and reduced meals for the 2022-23 school year.
Again, it means that beginning this school year, all students will no longer automatically receive free breakfast and lunch.
Meal prices will remain the same as they were pre-pandemic:
- Elementary Breakfast – 80 cents
- Elementary Lunch – $1.75
- Secondary Breakfast – $1.00
- Secondary Lunch – $2.00
- Reduced Breakfast – 30 cents
- Reduced Lunch – 40 cents
Families can apply for Free/Reduced meals now for the upcoming 2022-23 school year. ***YOU MUST APPLY TO RECEIVE MEAL BENEFITS.
- Free/Reduced meal applications are available at the District Office, at all schools, or online using your Skyward login at skystu.jordan.k12.ut.us
Also, to help meal service in our schools run as smoothly as possible, we remind you to put money in your student’s lunch account before the new school year starts.
Thank you for helping us get the 2022-23 school year off to a nutritious and successful start in our schools and cafeterias.
For more information regarding school breakfast and lunch, we invite you to listen to the latest episode of the Superintendent’s podcast the “Supercast” using the links or media player below.
- Episode info & audio transcription for Supercast 148: Federal Government Ends COVID-19 Meal Program in Schools