The Nov. 12 Board meeting summary is now available and can be viewed at jordandistrict.org/board/meetings/summary/2018-11-12/.
The American Sign Language (ASL) classes from Copper Hills and West Jordan High Schools teamed up to create animated graphics called GIFs. The animations tell stories through ASL and original student art. The students split into teams and partnered with the school’s art department to help them design and film the projects using paint and backgrounds. While working on the GIFs, each group was only allowed to use sign language to plan and execute their projects. The images use specific ASL grammar that has special meaning for those that are hearing impaired.
Great job students on creating inclusive art that everyone can appreciate.
Here are some of the student’s GIFs.
They have a passion for teaching and helping students achieve at the highest levels. Now, these dedicated Jordan School District educators are being recognized by the Utah Council for the Social Studies.
South Hills Middle teacher, Rebecca Kirkman, has been selected as 2018 middle school Teacher of the Year for the Utah Council for the Social Studies.
Eastlake Elementary teacher, Kerry Simi, has been selected as 2018 elementary school Teacher of the Year for the Utah Council for the Social Studies.
Congratulations to these amazing teachers! Keep up the great work.
After reviewing considerable feedback and information gathered through public surveys and public hearings, the Board of Education developed and unanimously approved 2019-20 boundaries, which they called option D.
Here are the maps for the 2019-20 approved boundaries.
Please note the following regarding the final boundaries:
- If there is no color on the map for your elementary school, then your school’s boundaries do not change.
- Fox Hollow, Blackridge and South Jordan Elementary Schools will remain on a year-round calendar. All other elementary schools will be on a traditional calendar.
- Majestic Elementary is scheduled to close after the 2019-20 school year, with future building use to be determined over the coming year.
- An updated permit policy was also approved along with the guidelines posted below. More information will be e-mailed to parents in the coming days.
- Fort Herriman, Oquirrh Hills, and South Hills Middle Schools will change boundaries to middle school transition boundaries for the 2019-20 school year, then to final middle school boundaries for the 2020-21 school year. Although these schools would experience two boundary changes, boundaries would only be moved once at most for each student.
For more information including survey results, please visit boundary.jordandistrict.org.
We simply could not accomplish all we do in education without them and today is a day to say thank you! Governor Gary Herbert has designated Wednesday, Nov. 14 as Education Support Professionals Day in Utah. Join us as we recognize these amazing employees who make a big difference in the lives of students, staff, parents and patrons in and outside of our schools and classrooms. Your devotion to the job, education and all those we serve is valued and appreciated every single day.