If you walk into the brand new Mountain Ridge High School, you will see a flurry of activity right now. Students and parents are preparing for the first day with tours, registration and some are already involved in athletics.
On Wednesday, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Sydnee Dickson joined Jordan School District Board of Education members, Superintendent Anthony Godfrey and others on a guided tour of the new school. Already there is a feeling of Sentinel pride throughout the building and Principal Mike Kochevar says students are embracing the idea of being ‘Sentinel Strong.’
The public is invited to an open house Friday, August 16, from 3:30-6:30 followed by the schools’ first home football game, which starts at 7 p.m.
The Aug. 13 Board study session agenda is now available on our Board meetings page. You can also use the following links to the printed and detailed agendas.
On Tuesday night the Jordan School District Board of Education held a Truth in Taxation Hearing regarding a proposed tax increase to raise teacher salaries.
The Board voted unanimously in favor of the tax increase. This means that each licensed employee will receive an increase of $6,075 over last year’s pay. The starting salary for teachers in the District is $48,000 for the 2019-2020 school year.
Thank you, teachers, for your hard work and dedication on behalf of students.
The following are new administrative assignments effective August 1, 2019:
- Michael Anderson, Administrator of Schools, has been appointed Associate Superintendent.
- Allyson Stovall, teacher at Terra Linda Elementary, has been appointed administrator on special assignment in the Teaching & Learning Department.
- Mandy Thurman, currently assistant principal at Hayden Peak & Bluffdale Elementary Schools, has been appointed consultant in the Teaching & Learning Department.
- Elizabeth Felt, teacher specialist in the Teaching & Learning Department, has been appointed assistant principal at Blackridge & South Jordan Elementary Schools.
- Ami Shah, teacher specialist in the Special Education Department, has been appointed assistant principal at Riverton & West Jordan Elementary Schools.
- Nicole Johnson, currently on a leave of absence, has been appointed assistant principal at Columbia, Copper Canyon, Rosamond, Westvale, Jordan Hills & Westland Elementary Schools.
- Cathy Ford, currently assistant principal at South Jordan & Blackridge Elementary Schools, has been appointed assistant principal at Hayden Peak, Falcon Ridge & Mountain Shadows Elementary Schools.
The June 11 Board meeting summary is now available and can be viewed at jordandistrict.org/board/meetings/summary/2019-06-11/.